Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bullfrog

Another Changsha delicacy that cannot go ignored is bullfrog (niuwa, which is literally bull and frog). Yes, yes, I agree, it sounds disgusting, because bullfrogs are disgusting. I also refused when I first heard of these dish, and so I told everyone not to tell me what it was so I could judge the dish objectively. It is surprisingly good, as it tastes just like chicken, but it's a bit disappointing at times because bullfrog doesn't have much meat on it. Bullfrog is also prepared in a pot of somesort, and put on top of a burner in front of you at restaurants. 

Bullfrog sizzling away

And some accompanying top dishes of the night..

Hugh's favorite dish of the night: pickled cucumber with slices of pork.


My favorite dish of the night, and one of my favorite Hunan dishes so far: fat green beans sizzled with pepper, spices and what I believe is pork as well.

2 comments:

jglc said...

AH LOOKS SO GOOD.... I miss 中菜 incredibly much...........

Joseph Hong said...

drool